ArtistsRegistry.com Message Board

Arts Community Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

From Art News Blog
Art Scam Emails
I haven't been getting any of them art scam Emails lately, but I still get Emails and comments from people that have been getting them, so they're still at it.

Thankfully they leave enough clues to make it pretty easy to pick them.

Their English isn't the best (this shouldn't be the only clue though, as there are plenty of legitimate art collectors that don't speak English as their first language!)
They're moving from one country to another and want to fill their new house with your art (yes, that can be very flattering)
They will use their own shipping company
They will pay with travelers check, money order, cashiers check, etc
They will even take the time to list the name of each painting they want to buy (they usually choose about 3). To see some examples, see the previous posts and comments about art scams, more art scams, George Craige Art Scam, and Dr Dave Frank the Art Scammer.

ArtScams.com has a check list of things to do to keep safe online, along with links to more resources online. Here's a few of the things they suggest..

Protect your computer from viruses, spyware, adware, worms, trojans, or other malware.
Don't open spam. Delete it unread.
If you suspect fraud or are a victim of fraud, take action.
Be skeptical... If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Never ship your artwork to someone without making sure the payment has cleared.
Beware if you have been overpaid for an item you are selling by cashier's check or postal money order and have been instructed to return the overpayment amount to the buyer or other party.
Beware of vanity galleries and publishers who charge artists to have their work included in a publication.
Art Scammers
I noticed that art scammers are even taking the time to give titles to the paintings that they want to steal from you. I received an email from "Precious", traveling from his/her home in the USA to their new Belgium apartment, and they want to purchase artworks.
It was almost believable until an artist friend Edwin sent me the same email, wanting to buy paintings from him, but it had my email address at the bottom of their lies!!
Art Scammers
I noticed that art scammers are even taking the time to give titles to the paintings that they want to steal from you. I received an email from "Precious", traveling from his/her home in the USA to their new Belgium apartment, and they want to purchase artworks.
It was almost believable until an artist friend Edwin sent me the same email, wanting to buy paintings from him, but it had my email address at the bottom of their lies!!
The titles are listed.
I will be happy to have these selected artworks hanged in our new
home. What are the prices? We are traveling from our USA home to our
new apartment in Belgium ASAP.

On Payment,I will like to pay you in US travelers checks
that can be easily cashed at your
bank,Please let me know on how to pay for the artworks.

I will be looking forward to your response on how to proceed.