ArtistsRegistry.com Message Board

Arts Community Message Board
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AbdulFarouk Mohammed
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

The following letter has been reported by several of our members. If you are ever in doubt about an inquiry please contact us before you contact them.

Sender Name: AbdulFarouk Mohammed.
Sender E-Mail: abdulfarouk_mohammed@yahoo.com
Sender Phone: +971.504.363.918
How to contact sender: Email

I will like to purchase your following artworks for my new home here in Dubai ,United Arab Emirates.The pieces i am interested in are :

Difference Enjoyed
Cloth Sculpture
16.4\" x 16.4\"

Receptual Cubes
7 Bronze Cubes
18.5\" x 18.5\" x 18.5\"

Linguisticities - Triangular
7 Bronze Triangles
17\" x 17\" x 17\"

Please confirm their availability respectively,last selling price each (VAT Inclusive) & Also i will need you to get me a shipment quotation for the pieces to be shipped to me here in Dubai , United Arab Emirates .

I look forward to read back from you as soon as possible.Thanks

AbdulFarouk Mohammed.

Post subject: Re: AbdulFarouk Mohammed
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:50 pm 
Hi,
I answered his email before I looked at the scam board.
He just replied to me. I will not continue to communicate if you know this guy is not legitimate.
Here is his message:

Elizabeth,
I got your response in regards to my inquiry into some of your beautiful works.The prices quoted for the pieces seems reasonable to me.I need you to clarify the value added tax issue & shipment quote.I left the U.A.E on a business trip for the United Kingdom this morning.I could not check my emails until now.I will be here for a couple of weeks & it seems the pieces might have likely been delivered before i return to Dubai.The home where the pieces are to be displayed is still under rehabilitation and might not have been completed as well before delivery.I will not want the works to be delivered to my family,because i want them to be a total surprise and will be seen at the new house,when we move there late june.If i am yet to return from my trip,i will provide you with a shipping address to have the pieces delivered to my personal assistant.All i need you to do is to get the shipping cost for the pieces to be delivered to Dubai & i will advise you of the shipping address prior to shipment and after you have recieved payment

I did tell him that I would not send the work until the money was wired to an account here. I had intended to start a new account for this purpose so there would be no question.

Yes, this is a scam?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:22 pm 
I just received the following email:

Subject: Artworks
Date: June 5, 2009 12:54:41 AM HST
To: Me

Good Day,

I will like to purchase your following artworks for my new home here in Dubai ,United Arab Emirates.The pieces i am interested in are :

WHITE TORCH
Transparent Watercolor
(16 X 20)

Pink Bananas
Transparent Watercolor
(16 X 20)

RIPENING
Transparent Watercolor
(8 X 10)

Please confirm their availability respectively,last selling price each (VAT Inclusive) & Also i will need you to get me a shipment quotation for the pieces to be shipped to me here in Dubai , United Arab Emirates .

AbdulFarouk Mohammed.

I wrote back saying I would arrange for payment via PayPal, and cannot wait to get the reply! I'll post it as soon as I receive it! I didn't see your answer on the forum, but I am assuming this is a SCAM, yes?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:39 am 
I too received a "scam" email request to buy my artwork from abdulfarouk_mohammed@yahoo.com. There is a new wrinkle from the previous posters emails. He says his wife will be in the US and will pick up the pieces from my studio. Ha! I wasn't born yesterday Abdul!

If the other artists who posted here about abdulfarouk_mohammed see this, could they kindly share how their dealings with him were resolved? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:47 am 

I, too, recently received an email message from Abdul Farouk Mohammed regarding the purchase of 3 of my sculptures. And, yes, his wife was to visit my studio [next month!] for final approval and payment.

To all previous post-ers, how was this resolved in your case...if at all?

Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:49 pm 
After receiving the email below, I told him to go F himself and never heard from him again.

Regarding payment,i have spoken to a U.S based associate of mine & he will be sending you payment via certified cashier's check drawn in U.S funds to expendite funds availability to you.My wife plans to visit your gallery either 5th or 6th of november,She be inspecting / collecting the pieces,Thats if they will come handy for her or else she will have you paid for their shipment to Dubai.

Payment will be sent to you ahead of her visit.Email me back with the beneficiary name,mailing address & contact telephone number.These are the required informations to process your payment.Thanks Again.

AbdulFarouk Mohammed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:27 pm 
I too received this email on Sat Oct 10, 2009, only that the email address seems to have changed to abdulfarouk1959@yahoo.com

I set up a dummy account to respond to him and will obviously not be sending any money etc nor would I give out any more information than is currently available on my website, which is public domain. He communicated through me through the Texas Society of Sculptors website, where he used their email address for me. I would be interested if any posters have actually any evidence of any fraudulent activity (asking for any inappropriate information) from this man or if it simply just smells very bad.

Good Day,

Nourish

Smooth Pomona

Please confirm their availability respectively,last selling price each (VAT Inclusive).Regarding their shipment,my wife will be visiting the united states for a conference in October,She will stop by at your gallery to collect the pieces & bring them down to the United Arab Emirates.

AbdulFarouk Mohammed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:35 pm 
If you go ahead with the charade you will get a bogus cashiers check mailed from England. It is worthless. I have received them from other scammers and always checked them out with the "originating" bank which is quick to tell me that they are no good, but the banks or law enforcement will do absolutely nothing to root out the criminals who create these.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:17 am 
I too have received emails from abdulfarouk_mohammed@yahoo.com
Essentially the same. I believe he may have accessed me through Philadelphia Sculptors. He expressed interest in pieces, said he would send certified check, his wife would be in NY and come to my studio nov. 5 or 6 to take or make arrangments for shipment to Dubai.

I was suspicious from the start.... but don't understand how he makes money from it if the artworks are not shipped....and who really wants all of this? Does he ask for $ back?

Is there anyone who has "completed a deal" ?

pg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:21 am 
You didn't read his second email to me carefully he softens his "my wife will come to collect" position:
"She be inspecting / collecting the pieces,Thats if they will come handy for her or else she will have you paid for their shipment to Dubai."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:26 pm 
I also received an invite from Abdul Farouk Mohammed. However, I indicated I would not send any work until the bank had cleared his payment. He also said his wife was arriving at the end of November to look at and select work for purchase and delivery. I then indicated that I would recommend a packaging and delivery service that he could approach and that he could deal directly with them.
We'll see if his wife ever appears.
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure whether to take him seriously or not. I even went to Google and couldn't find anything about him.
Etta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 pm 
Ah...the wife most definitely will not appear