ArtistsRegistry.com Message Board

Arts Community Message Board
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Painting For Sale?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:52 am 
Site Admin

"Am Bill i want to know if u carry Painting For Sale? if i have not mention the size can tell me one u have now ready to sell? Any model is good with me. What is the price of one so i can purchase? Best Regard, Bill."

Bill seems like a nice guy, don't you think? The kind of guy who has confidence in the quality of an artist's work. It really appealed to me that he was willing to accept "any model." The world needs decisive buyers like Bill Brown.

It looked to me like English was not Bill's first language, which was fine. I wrote him back: "Please clarify what it is you want and how much you want to spend." I needed to clear up the money thing right away--it sounded like money might be a language Bill understood.

Bill wrote back: "Would me buy $7000 model, but need to send $10,000 for shipping so u can return me $3000 cheque from u okay???"

"Why don't I just tuck $3000 cash into the back of the painting?" I wrote. "Okay," he wrote back. "Can u send painting BY AIR right away??? i NEED IT here now." This guy was eager, a real art enthusiast. The parcel was to go to a post box in Shanghai. Odd, in a way, because people can buy all kinds of paintings just like mine in China for less than ten dollars or two for fifteen. I was getting suspicious. Was it possible that Bill Brown was an alias for some person with another name? Do you think his cheque for $10,000 that he promised to send might turn out to be bogus? Could it be that someone was trying to shanghai me? Pacing back and forth in anxiety, I walked into the end of a door.

When I regained consciousness, I saw clearly that my assistant had not yet wrapped the painting nor had she tucked in the cash. I was quite relieved and went to the mailbox to see if any of the grant money I'd forgotten to apply for had come in. It hadn't. Then I went down to the end of the property and ate some more magic mushrooms. They're in season right now.

Best regards,

Robert

PS: "We have confirmed losses in the United States of over $100 million in the last 15 months, but a lot of people are too embarrassed to report they've been had." (James Caldwell, Secret Service Special Agent)

Esoterica: It's called "The Nigerian Scam" because it started in Nigeria. We've included some directives and keys in the current clickback--what to look for when you see a potential scam in your inbox. These days one can come from anywhere and there are many variations. The Internet is perfect for it. Scammers think we deserve to be taken because we're lazy and stupid. Artists are particularly vulnerable because our work is relatively expensive and we're perceived as needing money. Artists may be more stupid than other people as well, but I don't think so. He didn't fool me.

View this letter online. It also includes Nigerian scam links. You can instantly add your own opinion, information or observations. http://clicks.robertgenn.com/painting-for-sale.php