ArtistsRegistry.com Message Board

Arts Community Message Board
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Several members have reported receiving the identical email below. Generally when multiple artists receive the same letter at the same time it causes us concern as to the legitimacy. These emails come through a form on Artists Registry so that your email address is protected. If you write back you will give the person your email address, which could expose you to unwanted and unsolicited emails. While it is possible this letter is legitimate you may want to exercise caution.

You have received an email from the Artistsregistry.com Website.
Sender Name: Alex
Sender E-Mail: adavid12@ymail.com
Sender Phone: 1
How to contact sender: Email
interior decorator from Glasgow,scotland. I got an
order for the supply of some artworks from a client,
and when i came across your portfolio while searching
for good artworks, I found some of them to interest me
and fit what i am looking for, and I intend to market
these items to my client and also negotiate a price
that will include your price (i.e your selling price)
and a mark-up as a profit for me. Payment will be made
directly to you at the price i am selling and i will
expect you to ship and send me my commission /margin
afterwards. My client will provide you directly their
credit card for payment however if this will not work
for you, my client will be able to make a transfer
from their card to your credit card account. I am
looking forward to a long term working relationship
beyond this order. Please let me know if you do
commission work and which payment option works for you
before we place orders, If you have questions please
feel free to ask. Hope to hear from you soon. Best
Regards.
Alex David
adavid12@ymail.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 pm 
I have received the exactly the same worded solicitation . Which thanks to you I did not answer.
see below for the e-mail I received
Gordon Davis

My name is Frank, I am an individual art agent and interior decorator from Glasgow,
scotland. I got an order for the supply of some artworks from a group of client, and when
i came across your portfolio on your site, while searching for good artworks, I found some
of them to interest me and fit what i am looking for, and I intend to market these items
to my client and also negotiate a price that will include your price (i.e your selling
price) and a mark-up as a profit for my effort.
Payment will be made directly to you at the price i am selling and i will expect you to
ship after payment clears and send me my commission /margin afterwards.
My client prefers to make payment using a credit card as this is much easier and cost
effective for an international transaction thus will provide you directly their credit
card for payment.
Please let me know if you do commission work and if you accept master card payment after which I will let you know the items we are interested in, and we can proceed with the
order.
I am looking forward to a long term working relationship beyond this order..I am sorry I do
not have a website yet but it should be ready soon however you can always contact me if
you have any question and I would get back to you as soon as possible.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best Regards.
Frank Cole
fcole2006@ymail.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:30 am 
I also received that email except the name was Frank Cole, interior designer from Glasgow, Scotland. I just joined the artists registry and am happy that I can bounce these things off other artists.

Yesterday, I received a different email from someone named Wheechel Smith, who was interested in my artwork.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:33 am 
This is the email I received:

Good day to you out there.

I am so excited that I came across of your work on internet search,I am interested in
purchasing these creative artworks from you.......

Oil Painting 6″ x 6, Oil Painting 5″ x 7″ panel, Acrylic Painting 3″ x 3″ panel, Silverpoint Drawing,

Let me know their various prices.and how much discounts are you going to give?I will be happy to have these selected artworks hanged in our new home in London. As well, I want you to take out the shipping cost.I have been in touch with a shipping firm that will be shipping other house decoratives. We are traveling from our Dallas home to our new
apartment as soon as possible.
On Paying for the artworks,I will be glad to pay you with a Bank check in US FundsThe funds that can be easily cashed at your local bank,please let me know on how to procced for the payment of the creative artworks. I will await your advise on how to proceed.Have a
wonderful day.

Take care,
Wheechel Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:50 am 
Hi, I also received the same letter from Frank Cole. How exactly is the fraud committed? Is it via the credit card he wants to pay with? My art is on various websites, also on my own - I just wonder where did he get my e-mail address - was it on my own website? Do all the other "targets" also have their own websites?
Louwtjie Kotz, South Africa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 pm 
"Wheechel Smith" has contacted me in Chicago & asked me to translate 10 pages of something he/she/it has written.

I'm glad I looked the name up on Google before I gave "WS" any real info.

We'll see how this works out eventually.

www.ReyFloresAmerica.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:58 am 
"Frank Cole" is continuing to send out solicitations. I received an identical email this morning.

Peter Worsley, Santa Babara, California

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 pm 
Does it seem that they are trying to get you to give them your credit card info?