ArtistsRegistry.com Message Board

Arts Community Message Board
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Art buying scams
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:02 am 

Fellow artists beware of e-mails sent from Witney Chang (see other postings this site) and Eve Johnson. From looking at this message board and other websites I use to post my artwork, these are just two of art buying scammers. From what I can gather, they are not interested in your artwork or even getting their hands on it. The scams typically work like this: they send you a check/money order for the purchase price plus extra for shipping. You cash/deposit the bogus check (whihc will never clear) and then you send a check or cash to the "mover/shippers." They don't even have to come and pick up the artwork--what would they do with it anyway. They make their ill-gotten gains from the cash you send to cover the shipping/pay the bogus movers/the scammers themselves. It's a variation of the Nigerian scam which uses cars instead of artwork, but works the same way. It is flattering that someone wants to purchase our work, but as the Fraud Sgt. I talked to said, if you ever get a check for more than the purchase price--IT'S A SCAM to get your money. We paint and create because we love art--these criminals only love one thing--MONEY